Earth Day is on the way, and there are plenty of events in the Lehigh Valley and beyond to celebrate and promote environmental responsibility. LCA has compiled a list of a few of them for you here.
- Nature Conservancy: Hold a picnic for Earth Day. Click here to learn how to participate.
- Emmaus Community Cleanup and electronics recycling: Meet at Emmaus Community Park, Shimerville Road at South 14th Street on Saturday, April 20, 8:30 a.m. to 12 p.m, rain or shine. Volunteer to clean up litter and debris from sites around the borough and township. Electronics recycling will be available at Community Park during the event – just stop by with items to recycle like TVs, computers, printers, air conditioners and batteries. Some fees will apply.
- Riverfront Park: South Third Street, Reading: 25th annual Berks County Earth Day Celebration, April 21 from 11:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., rain or shine. Features include live music; activities for children; exhibits on energy and water conservation, alternative energy and alternative vehicles, land use, gardening, clean air and water, non-toxic chemicals for home and gardens, composting, recycling, sewage sludge, and environmentally aware businesses; a farmers’ market; food; and an art contest with submissions from the area’s 6th through 8th grades. Bring canned food for donation to a food bank; inkjet cartrdiges and car batteries for recycling.
- Lehigh Valley Zoo, 5150 Game Preserve Rd: Party for the Planet, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Events include:
- 10:00am-4:00pm Lehigh Valley Zoo’s Conservation Education Program Animal Encounters and Biofacts (Zoomagination Deck)
- 10:00am-4:00pm Home Depot Kids Workshop (across from Gray Fox Exhibit)
- 10:00am-12:00pm PA Game Commission (Birds of Prey area)
- 10:30am Raccoon Enrichment (Raccoon Exhibit)
- 11:00am & 3:00pm Zookeeper Talk/African Penguin Feeding (Jaindl Penguin Pavilion)
- 11:00am Lehigh Valley Great Cloth Diaper Change (Tent Area)
- 11:30am-12:00pm DaVinci Science Presentation (Amphitheater)
- 11:45am Fisher Enrichment (Fisher Exhibit)
- 12:30pm-1:00pm DaVinci Science Presentation (Amphitheater)
- 1:00pm Lemur Feeding (Mongoose Lemur Exhibit)
- 2:00pm Kangaroo Enrichment (Kangaroo Exhibit)
- Earth Days on the Greenway, Third and Fourth streets, Bethlehem: Organized by the Lehigh Valley chapter of the Sierra Club, April 20 and 21, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and noon to 5 p.m. Sunday. Live music; theater performances; speakers and demonstrations on ways to be environmentally aware including alternative transportation methods, new types of outdoor clothes dryers, and green building.
- Ten Thousand Villages, Lehigh Valley Mall, Whitehall: Turning Trash into Treasure, April 20 to April 22. Learn how to create a gift bow with just an old magazine, a stapler and glue, and see how artisans use discarded items to make handicrafts.
- Jim Thorpe: 16th Annual Earth Day weekend celebration on April 20 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.; rain date April 21. Features inlcude live entertainment; environmental information; arts and craft vendors; children’s activities; community clean-ups; food; book readings at the Dimmick Memorial Library; appearances by Smokey the Bear and Woodsy the Owl, and an Earth Day Auction.
If you know of an event we haven’t listed, please visit us on our Facebook page and tell us!